Cooper Marine Advisors (“us”, “we”, or “our”) regard the lawful and correct treatment of personal information as integral to our successful operation. This Privacy Notice applies to the handling of your personal information in connection with all services provided by Cooper Marine Advisors.
Cooper Marine Advisors is a registered Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
This Privacy Notice, and any other documents referred to within, is there to clearly identify the legal requirements, procedures, and rights established when we obtain, process, transfer, and store personal data. This notice will assist in understanding the legal obligations, responsibilities, and rights which are embodied by the Data Protection Laws and Cooper Marine Advisors. The processing of personal data shall always be in accordance with the country-specific data protection regulations applicable to Cooper Marine Advisors. Furthermore, data subjects are informed, by means of this Privacy Notice, of the rights to which they are entitled.
Data: Information stored physically or electronically; on a computer, or cloud server.
Data Controller: Determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data.
Data Subject: All individuals about whom Cooper Marine Advisors hold Personal Data.
Personal Data: Information which can be used to directly or indirectly identify an individual.
Processor: Processor is a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which processes personal data on behalf of the controller.
Processing: Any activity in which the data is used, including (but not limited to) obtaining, recording, organising, amending, retrieving, using, transferring, disclosing, erasing, destroying, and/or holding the data.
Restriction of Processing: Restriction of processing is the marking of stored personal data with the aim of limiting their processing in the future.
Consent: Is any freely given, specific, informed, and unambiguous indication of the data subject’s wishes by which they, by a statement or by a clear affirmative action, signifies agreement to the processing of their personal data.
Information we collect
Whilst visiting our site, contacting us for services directly via our email address or our website contact form, you may be asked to enter personal data. ‘Personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. This personal data may include:
- Work Address
- Contact Telephone Number
- Mobile Number
- Fax Number
- Email Address(es)
- History of Use (History of services provided to client on behalf of Cooper Marine Advisor)
- Any personal information which you choose to provide us in correspondence with you.
- Your I.P. address (or Internet Protocol Address). This is a unique address that computing devices such as personal computers, tablets, and smartphones use to identify itself. An I.P. address is analogous to a street address or telephone number and could therefore be used to identify you.
- ID-type information,cookie ID, mobile ID, IP address. After being collected, this data is used for real-time processing in order to generate a visitor ID (hashing is applied on source data) and to calculate geolocation information (which is never more granular than the city- or region-level, depending on the country). The raw data collected is never shown in our interfaces.
- Digital analytics information, data related to Internet users’ navigation:
- the type of browser used
- the number of page views
- the exact navigational path a visitor takes on the site
- the amount of time spent on a page, or the entire site
- other types of navigational data
- We may collect other online identifiers including cookies information (for more information please see ‘Cookies Policy’), the internet browser and devices you are using, the pages you visited on our website, and how long you visited us for.
In order to improve the quality of our services, we may combine Personal Information you submit with other information that we may receive from you, third parties or with other public information. We maintain this information in restricted secure databases.
Within the framework of the definitions given by Article 4 of the GDPR, we consider that all the data we collect is considered as ‘personal data’ and as such we apply the same attention and the same level of protection to it.
How we obtain and why we collect Personal Information
Cooper Marine Advisors obtain the personal information we process directly from the data subject to enable us to satisfy our obligations and responsibilities in our contracts to which the data subject is party.
If we receive Personal Data about you from other sources, Cooper Marine Advisors will provide you with this information as soon as possible thereafter.
Should Cooper Marine Advisors deem it necessary to process your Personal Data for purposes outside and/or beyond the reasons for which it was originally collected, we will contact you first to inform you of those purposes, the intent, and apply for your consent.
We collect information about your online activity automatically through our Sites analytics provided by Google, some of the data received may be considered Personal Information, such as Internet protocol (IP) address, cookie identifiers and other identifiers that are automatically assigned to your computer or devices when you access the Internet.
How Cooper Marine Advisors will use your Personal Data
We will access and use your Personal Data in accordance with your instructions and as is reasonably necessary:
- To fulfil our contractual obligations and responsibilities to you;
- To provide, maintain, and improve our services;
- To respond to your requests, queries, and problems;
- To inform you about any changes to our services and related security and fraud notices; and
- To measure activity on our web and mobile site so we can better evaluate which content and formats are of interest and value to our customers.
Cooper Marine Advisors strives to provide a high-quality service with all contracts we hold. The information we collect helps us meet this goal by allowing us to:
- Send you email and postal updates and documentation to complete our contractual service; and
- Comply with applicable legal demands, laws, regulations, and tax obligations.
Transferring Personal Data out of the EEA (European Economic Area)
Cooper Marine Advisors is an international company that operates the same level of GDPR compliance, data protection, and security throughout. The transfer of data is for Cooper Marine Advisors to be able to provide adequate services to complete our contract with you. Every level of security measure available to Cooper Marine Advisors will be taken to ensure the protection of your Personal Data.
Cooper Marine Advisors only transfers Personal Data under the insurance that an adequate level of protection is maintained as well as to protect your legal rights and freedoms.
When Cooper Marine Advisors may share your Personal Data
There are times when Cooper Marine Advisors may need to share your Personal Data.
In the course of fulfilling our role it will be necessary for Cooper Marine Advisors to disclose your Personal Data in certain situations:
- In our role, we may need to share your Personal Data with certain bodies to fulfil our contract with you which include, but are not limited to, contractors and subcontractors, HMRC, ICB and other governmental, regulatory bodies, as applicable.
- Cooper Marine Advisors is under a duty to disclose or share Personal Data in order to comply with any legal obligation, lawful request, court order, and legal process.
- To enforce or apply any contract or other agreement with you.
- To protect our rights, property, or safety, staff, or others, in the course of investigating and preventing fraud.
Keeping your Personal Data secure
Cooper Marine Advisors is bound by this Privacy Notice, Data Protection Policy and Procedure, and the technologies which maintain the security of all Personal Data from the point of collection to the point of destruction.
- Cooper Marine Advisors ensure that only people authorised to use your Personal Data can access it.
- Cooper Marine Advisors will make certain that your Personal Data is accurate and suitable for the purpose/s for which it is processed.
- Cooper Marine Advisors has established procedures which mean only authorised company Data Users will be able to access your Personal Data and only if it is required for authorised purposes within the terms of our contract.
- Data Users are appropriately trained and supervised in accordance with this Notice.
- Our computers have appropriate password security, boundary firewalls, and effective anti-malware defences.
- Any Personal Data that needs to be transferred will be sent in encrypted formats.
- Cooper Marine Advisors routinely back-up electronic information to assist restoring information in the event of disaster and software is kept up to date with the latest security patches.
- The Privacy Notice, and Data Protection Policy and Procedure will be kept updated in response to any amendments to the law.
- Cooper Marine Advisors shall take appropriate security measures against unlawful and/or unauthorised processing of Personal Data, and against the accidental loss of, or damage to, your Personal Data.
Cooper Marine Advisors will only transfer your Personal Data to a Data Processor (a Data User outside our business) with your consent and if the Processor agrees to comply with our procedures and policies, and if the Processor puts in place security measures to protect Personal Data, which we consider adequate.
Cooper Marine Advisors processes Personal Information on our servers in other countries. In some cases, we may process your Personal Information on a server outside your own country in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable law.
Cooper Marine Advisors use the following software providers to process electronic data, including Personal Data; Microsoft Office 365 suite applications. These providers state that they are GDPR compliant and/or applies equivalent/adequate safeguards. Details of which can be found at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trust-center/privacy/gdpr-overview
If you think someone has improperly accessed or used your Personal Information supplied to Cooper Marine Advisors, please contact Cooper Marine Advisors Data Protection Officer immediately at:
- By clicking on “Manage my preferences”, you can accept or refuse all or part of the cookies subject to consent.
In addition, our Cookies Policy allows you, at any time, to select which cookies you accept on our site or which you disable. You can indicate your preferences for the entire site.
Third parties will not be allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes.
We use Google Analytics to collect information regarding visitor behaviour and visitor demographics and utilising this data to develop Site content. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google’s collection and processing of the data your use of the services generates by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Links to other websites
Our Site and Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Period for which the Personal Data will be stored
Cooper Marine Advisors will not keep Personal Data longer than necessary for the purpose or purposes for which it was collected. Once Personal Data is no longer required, Cooper Marine Advisors will take all reasonable steps to destroy and erase it.
Routine erasure and blocking of Personal Data
The data controller shall process and store the personal data of the data subject only for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of storage, or as far as this is granted by the European legislator or other legislators in laws or regulations to which the controller is subject to.
If the storage purpose is not applicable, or if a storage period prescribed by the European legislator or another competent legislator expires, the personal data will not be processed, processing will cease, and personal information will be appropriately removed and destroyed from our systems.
Your rights and requests concerning your Personal Data
We process and manage your Personal Data in line with your rights; in particular your rights to:
- Request access to any data Cooper Marine Advisors hold about you;
- Prevent the processing of your Personal Data;
- Ask to have inaccurate Personal Data amended;
- Be forgotten, and have all relevant Personal Data erased (subject to our overriding legal obligations);
- Request certain restrictions on the processing of your Personal Data;
- Receive a copy of your Personal Data and/or request a transfer of your Personal Data to another Data Controller;
- Be notified of a data security breach which affects your rights and freedoms, without undue delay;
- To make certain requests to us concerning how your Personal Data is managed; and
- Right to Data Portability.
If the Data Subject wishes to exercise their rights listed above, they may, at any time, contact any employee of the Cooper Marine Advisors.
Access and portability requests
You are entitled to request access to your Personal Data unless providing a copy would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
You can request information about the different categories and purposes of data processing; recipients or categories of recipients who receive your Personal Data, details on how long your Personal Data is stored for, information on your Personal Data’s source and whether the Data controller uses automated decision-making.
You have ‘Data Portability’ rights which includes the right to request a copy of your Personal Data be sent to you or transmitted to another Data Controller.
You are entitled to request Cooper Marine Advisors correct or complete inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data without undue delay and we will update the information and erase or correct any inaccuracies as required.
You can exercise your ‘right to be forgotten’ and can request erasure of your Personal Data. Once receiving a request Cooper Marine Advisors will erase the Personal Data without delay and within one month (30 days), unless an exception applies that permits Cooper Marine Advisors to continue processing your data, which the data subject will be informed of immediately. Details of such exceptions are contained in GDPR and include situations where we might need to retain the information to comply with legal obligations and/or for the establishment of exercising or defending legal claims.
You can exercise your right to request restrictions be applied to the processing of your Personal Data for specific reasons such as you contest the accuracy of the data, the processing is unlawful or if Cooper Marine Advisors no longer need to process your Personal Data. If such a request is received Cooper Marine Advisors can continue to store your Personal Data, but may only process it under certain circumstances, such as; you give us consent to continue processing your data, we need to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims, to protect the rights of another individual or legal entity.
You can exercise your right to object to your Personal Data being processed. If we receive such objection, we will stop processing your Personal Data.
Your telephone queries and requests
When receiving telephone enquiries, in which Personal Data is requested, Cooper Marine Advisors will only verbally disclose Personal Data held on our systems to confirm the caller’s identity to ensure that the data is only given to a person who is entitled to receive it.
Cooper Marine Advisors may suggest that a caller put their request in writing to assist in establishing the caller’s identity, and to enable us to clearly record the nature of the request and to assist in further identity checks. If there are reasonable doubts about the identity of the person making the request, Cooper Marine Advisors may request additional information to confirm the caller’s identity.
Your written queries and requests
When responding to written requests, Personal Data will only be disclosed if confirmation of the identity of the sender can be verified and/or sufficient supporting evidence is provided by the sender establishing their identity.
Responding to your requests
Upon receiving a request from you concerning your Personal Data, Cooper Marine Advisors will respond within one month (30 days) of receiving the request by email (unless you request a response in an alternative format).
If we are unable to immediately comply with your request Cooper Marine Advisors will inform you within the response stating whether an extension of our response time, for up to a maximum of two months (60 days), along with an explanation for the delay, is necessary.
Cooper Marine Advisors do not charge for the provision of your Personal Data, unless the requests are manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive in which case we may refuse to act on the request or apply further fees to cover the associated administrative costs.
How to contact us with questions or comments
Please direct any questions or concerns regarding this privacy statement or Cooper Marine Advisors’ treatment of Personal Information to us by emailing the Data Controller and Data Protection Officer:
If you feel that your questions or concerns regarding your Personal Data have not been dealt with adequately or that your request has not been fulfilled, you can use Cooper Marine Advisors complaints procedure, by contacting the Head of Operations:
If at the conclusion of our complaints procedure you do not feel that we have adequately dealt with your complaint, or if we do not take any action within one month after receiving your request, you may make a complaint directly to ICO:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113
Or your applicable Data Protection Agency which you can find online by heading to: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en